Brief Introduction of the Department
The Department of Zoology, Diamond Harbour Women’s University, was established in 2017 and currently offers post graduate course. The nascent department was mentored by renowned biologist and current registrar of this university, Prof. Dr. Sayeedur Rahman. Presently, one associate professor and four assistant professors are involved in this department. All the faculties are actively engaged in teaching and developing the educational and research infrastructure of the department. Special lectures and educational tours are organized to familiarize the students with latest developments in the field of biology and to provide hands-on training in field work, respectively.
The first batch of students to complete the M. Sc. Course in 2019 have all secured first class degrees.
With the enthusiastic participation of all the faculties and students, this department is continuously growing in strength and hopes to offer modern curricula in teaching and research.
Year of Establishment: 2017
Major thrust area of research:
- Molecular Biology
- Cancer Biology
- Molecular Ecology
Departmental milestones at a glance (last five years*):
- No. of NET/SLET qualified students in last five years - 1
- No. of Ph.D. produced in last five years - 0
- No. of registered / enrolled Ph.D. scholars (present) - 6 (enrolled)
- No. of research publication in peer reviewed journals in last five years - 4
- Average impact factor of the research publication -
- No. of books published in last five years - 0
- No. of seminar/conference organized by the department - 1 International Webinar in 2020
- No. of foreign visit by faculty members and scholars during last five years - 0
- No of special lecture organized by the department - 1
- Total research grant received during last five years - 0
- No. awards/honours received by the faculty members during last five years - 0
- Departmental recognition -
- No. of Seminar / conference / workshop attended by the faculty members during last five years - 5
- No. of research collaboration within India - 0
- No. of research collaboration outside India - 0
- No. of MOU signed - 0
Extension activity by the department:
- Excursion and Field study
Major Strengths of the department:
- The faculty members are young and enthusiastic.
- We have a well-equipped animal facility and well-developed laboratory with the grant received from West Bengal higher education in 2021.
Major Challenges of the department:
- The department is very new. We are developing the infrastructural facilities to promote research in near future
Future plan of the department:
- We are planning to develop a departmental museum, departmental library and seminar room in near future.
- Various applied based curriculum will be introduced in our department.
- M.Sc. level: 40 per semester